Thursday, August 21, 2014

Sacred Rhythms of Life: Entering a New Season

In my seasons calendar  of Celtic and Christian  Spirituality; it is the season of perplexity and spiritual survival known as Lugasadh and Lammas.  This coming Sunday will be the 11th Sunday after Pentecost or ordinary time on the Liturgical Calendar of the Church.  For those of us in the Northern Hemisphere while it might be hot and humid; the days are getting shorter and Autumn is on its way.  The seasons of nature and of spirituality remind us that there are sacred rhythms to life - times when our work and creativity will flourish and times when we are to listen and rest.  

Over the past months I have been in a season of perplexity and spiritual survival; wondering where God is? and why is my daughter gone?  In many ways I feel robbed and cheated of a season I long anticipated; a time of celebrating her graduating from high school and a time of anticipation as we took her to college and a new life emerged for all of us.  

Instead what has emerged is a season of self-care, of discernment and extra time with Allan. Allan and I have seen two waterfalls on the Natchez Trace Parkway and completed a Crazy Digital of Downtown Memphis.  I am eating more whole foods, taking more Yoga classes and trying new classes such Tabata. My discernment time has included discussions with friends; spiritual reading, prayer along with more silence and solitude. As I wrestle with my spiritual practices; living with the Divine Mystery and beginning again; I find myself in a new and unknown place.  A time of preparation has emerged as an opportunity for me to take a pilgrimage has occurred coinciding with my finishing my spiritual direction training program and preparing for a new ministry.  

Less than the month from now; I will spend a little over two weeks making a journey to friends and family; to familiar and unfamiliar places and to new experiences with God.  Part of the time I will spend in Cape May, NJ at the Sacred Rhythms Writing Retreat: Bringing Yoga, Dance, and Monastic Wisdom to Your Writing Practice. 
I will also be spending two nights in a hermitage on the property of the Franciscan Spirituality Center in Aston, PA.  

This will be a season of discernment as I will finish my spiritual direction certificate program through Perkins School of Theology the end of October and then begin my Master's in Spirituality through Oblate School of Theology as an online program in January. 

 What season are you in?  Where are you being called to journey?  

Here are a few websites on pilgrimage and seasons: 

Ecclesiastes 3 New Century Version (NCV)

There Is a Time for Everything

 There is a time for everything,
    and everything on earth has its special season.
There is a time to be born
    and a time to die.
There is a time to plant
    and a time to pull up plants.
There is a time to kill
    and a time to heal.
There is a time to destroy
    and a time to build.
There is a time to cry
    and a time to laugh.
There is a time to be sad
    and a time to dance.
There is a time to throw away stones
    and a time to gather them.
There is a time to hug
    and a time not to hug.
There is a time to look for something
    and a time to stop looking for it.
There is a time to keep things
    and a time to throw things away.
There is a time to tear apart
    and a time to sew together.
There is a time to be silent
    and a time to speak.
There is a time to love
    and a time to hate.
There is a time for war
    and a time for peace.




No comments:

Post a Comment