Saturday, October 5, 2013

A Review: Picturing the Face of Jesus

Picturing the Face of Jesus: Encountering Christ Through Art by Beth Booram is an excellent book for group or individual study.  Published by Abingdon Press, it is arranged into six chapters each covering a different face of Jesus.  The study can be extended for eight weeks if one uses the introduction and epilogue as separate chapters.
What makes this study unique is the eight pictures of Jesus located in the middle of the book.  Each picture is a painting or drawing of Jesus from a different museum collection.  Some are famous and others are not so famous.  Booram in each chapter connects the pictures with a story of Jesus from scripture. 
For me I like the connections Booram makes between the pictures, scriptures and our own lives.  Each chapter invites one to experience Jesus through reading, visualizing, praying, reflecting and discussing.  She reinforces the idea that building a relationship with Jesus is not something to be rushed.  Her challenges push readers to go deeper with their minds, hearts and souls.  The book caused me to further examine how I apply scripture to my own life. I also thought about how much I let Jesus into my heart and mind. 
The pictures are an excellent guide to viewing Jesus as having emotions. Looking at the faces of Jesus in each picture allowed me to experience in new way Jesus’ humanness.  I considered how often I ignore the human side of Him paying attention only to the Divine.
Booram invites readers to confess their own feelings and longings to God.  The book stresses that only when we are honest with God can we experience healing and reach out to others.  It caused me to examine how I follow Jesus’ example in my interactions with others. 
Many of the questions asked throughout the book are questions that many of us will wrestle with throughout our lives.  Therefore, this study is one that can be returned to again and again.  The material is inexhaustible.  There are endless possibilities; one could go through the book using it only for contemplation or for discussion or for journaling or for scripture study. 
 Even though Picturing the Face of Jesus is only 112 pages in length; its riches are immeasurable. The short chapters and simple concepts are what make it accessible for all regardless of life experience. 
Considering its wealth of material and richness of art; Picturing the Face of Jesus is very affordable.  It is available in paperback for $6.00 and through the Kindle store for $9.99. For any individual or group looking for a non-traditional study, I highly recommend this book.  Its affordability and accessibility make it well worth your time and money.  Visit http://www.bethbooram.org/ to learn more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment