Monday, October 6, 2014

Day 1: Across Tennessee - Intersection of the Old and New

As I began my journey on September 14, I felt frazzled.  I didn't leave as early as I planned nor did I get as much sleep as I had wanted to as it had been a very busy week.  Yet I as turned on NPR and headed east on I-40; I calmed down and settled into the familiar drive of the Interstate. I never fail to notice however the beauty of crossing the Tennessee River, the Cumberland Plateau and the mountains as I journey across Tennessee. In between enjoying NPR and the scenery; I reflect on the number of times I have made this trip or some portion thereof - I-40 East to I-81 North to Johnson City, TN; it is more than I can count.  I think about the fun times with Allan hiking at various State Parks and Natural Areas as well as our trips together passing through TN on our way to his family in PA.  Then my mind jumps back into the mixed memories of childhood and my first  trip to Tennessee in March, 1980. My family visited Nashville and stayed at the Opryland Hotel.  My thoughts drift to the bittersweet memories of family and friends that are different now because deaths, divorces, geographic re locations, illnesses, job changes and other circumstances have changed those relationships. As I came back to the present; the tears come as I remember Jane's and mine trip together to Emory and Henry College in Emory VA along with our trip to Norris, TN. It was such a wonderful time and now I am not sure what to think, I only feel sadness.  As I arrive in Johnson City, TN as is typical of me I try to get to  find my friend's house by memory during which time I get lost but this gives me another chance to drift down memory lane.  My time at East Tennessee State University; being involved at Munsey Memorial United Methodist Church(my first time around for being Methodist) and First Presbyterian Church(my second time around being PCUSA) and times at various places such as Buffalo Mountain, Barnes and Noble, Winged Deer Park, Cootie Brown's along with the Downtown Art Galleries on First Friday.  I arrive at the my friends home where she greets me with  a big hug and invites me to get settled.  Her home oozes love all over me as we share a delicious supper and plenty of stimulating conversation.  She has been a friend of my family's for over 10 years and I always gain much wisdom from her variety of life experiences.  They day comes to an end; my first night away from home, one piece of the journey complete.

About the Photo:  Allan and I met on a Bird and Wildflower hike at Roan Mountain State Park in October, 2002.  This photo is of one of our first outings together at Hampton Creek Cove State Natural Area. Disclaimer: Not best the picture of me but excellent of the mountains!! We both have degrees from East Tennessee State; He received his M.S. in Biology and I received my B.S. in Interdisciplinary Studies.

Check out:
Tennessee State Natural Areas at: http://www.state.tn.us/environment/natural-areas/natural-areas/
Tennessee State Parks at: http://tnstateparks.com/
Johnson City, TN at: http://visitjohnsoncitytn.com/#url=%3Fpage%3Dvisitors%26subPage%3Dmain
East Tennessee State University at: http://www.etsu.edu/etsuhome/

No comments:

Post a Comment