Sunday, November 2, 2014

Day 11: Saying Good-Bye; Time to journey onward


It is Wednesday morning; the last day of being with my sister dancing monks in Cape May, NJ. We eat, do yoga, affirm, dance, celebrate and say good-bye.  We take photos and some of us linger to walk just a longer on the beach. I have laid aside my judgment and expectations of myself and others. I take with me the sacredness of simply being and embed in my memory: waves crashing, feet pattering, wind blowing,  eggs cracking, and the rocking of the rocking chairs.  I think about the birds, the butterflies, the sand between my toes, hot tea, the warmth of the mush and the beauty of the dance. I remember licking ice cream, feeling the grass between my toes, drinking hot coffee and playing like a little girl in the sunshine with 19 other women.  As I imprint in my mind the holiness of this place, the voices of reassurance, affirmation and calmness remain with me also.

http://www.empmamas.com/about.html

The perfect place in Cape May for dancing monks to eat!!
 One of the gals from the group needs a ride to the Cape May-Lewes Ferry so some of us go to lunch together and then go to the ferry to say good-bye. At the ferry, I buy some post cards and salt water taffy. I remember riding on the ferry once and getting seasick.  Such a long time ago; riding the ferry and visiting Cape Henlopen State Park.
http://www.kohrbros.com/
On the boardwalk in Wildwood,  I always loved the Orange Cream Twist Soft Serve when I went to the shore. 
 http://www.destateparks.com/park/cape-henlopen/
http://www.capemaylewesferry.com/


 I linger longer and have some fun with a sister monk who wants a little more adventure; we go and walk the boardwalk in Wildwood interchanging laughter with deep thought.  Finally one last good-bye and then northward on the Garden State Parkway then to the NJ Turnpike and onto I-95; all new territory to me as I pay tolls and leave behind the familiar Jersey shore area.  I exit just before the George Washington Bridge and head to one of the Trently cousin's home.  Somehow I make it without getting lost and they are even impressed with how quick I got there; I said well I just went with the traffic.  I speak with two friends I am looking forward to seeing the next day one for the first time and the other whom I have not seen in months.  We laugh, catch up and enjoy bantering the way two women do so  I go to bed way late.  Yet it is nice to be free of structure and schedule for a few days.
I leave the beach to the seagulls taking with me only a few shells but lots of memories of this Sacred Retreat.
Links for you to explore:

Movement and Dance

As someone who has been disconnected from her body for many years - the movement, yoga and dance components healed and created much space for God to move in a new way in my life. 

I go from St. Mary's by the Sea as an artist who is free to: 

 Create and enjoy the process
 To turn off the phone 
Say no 
Allocate space and resources for my creative play 
 Utilize technology to continue to deepen and find connections
Explore new possibilities
Move through in courage 
Remain fallow
Accept my body and embrace my sexuality 
Tend to my soul and allow the light of Christ to embody me 
Maintain an enlightened structure 
Live Life in a productive, supportive nurturing rhythm 
Stay with and trust the process 

Most awesome part of last day was getting Christine to autograph two of her books I have purchased ; I invite you to read - 

Desert Fathers and Mothers: Early Christian Wisdom Sayings-Annotated & Explained and Eyes of the Heart: Photography as a Christian Contemplative Practice

Christine also is one of the writers in the Homilists for the Homeless series I mentioned in an earlier post so she signed that one too.  Visit http://clearfaithpublishing.com/homilies/ to learn more. 

Also check out the writings of Anne Lamott: http://barclayagency.com/lamott.html




No comments:

Post a Comment