Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Revolutionary Lent - There and Back Again

Somehow between Sundays 3 and 4,  Nicodemus offering a voice of tradition to consider during a time and Christ offering living water for the woman at the well,  the Spirit has shifted my heart, mind and soul into a new direction. The old focus was not wrong just that this shift fits better with these strange times of the Corona Virus and social distancing. 

Ironically enough for whatever reason, instead of hearing about Nicodemus the monks Gospel reading was the Transfiguration . Once again, the Spirit spoke loudly to me to listen, listen to what you are being called to do.  I returned back home the next day in this place of listening again.  No one signed-up for my journaling workshop so I was forced to cancel.  Thus I went ahead and suspended my membership at the CO for the time being, because as much as I loved it being there, it  does not fit with my current projects.  As I made these decisions and other events cancelled, I find myself disappointed and depressed.  Yet as I arose out of this despair, I found myself knowing that this was to be a season of decluttering, of writing and of painting. 

The decluttering came first.  Papers in the living room and on my office floor that I had avoided dealing with for months began to be filed, shredded or recycled.  As the papers cleared,  I received an e-mail from a friend telling me, she had read my I guest blog post at Monk in the World, a column on the Abbey of the Arts website. A copy of this post will appear in a separate post following this one,  I had written this column months ago and had no idea it had even appeared.  My friend complimented my writing and said I need to be writing for pay,  The Spirit got my attention because this is not the first time that God has spoke through other people telling me
need to write.  However, I have failed to consistently heed this call. 

I recognized that with my space clean and my quiet at home, the time of writing has appeared.   Thus I return to my calling of listening and writing.  Listening as a spiritual director offering anyone two free sessions of spiritual direction via telephone or Zoom throughout this time of uncertainty.  As for the writing, I will be offering reflections here each day on my experience at Gethsemani and offering a related practice that can be done at home. 

I welcome your comments and reflections.  Thus here I am back at home,  heeding the Spirit's beckoning, writing and listening.  As we enter the Fifth Week of the 100 days, this Sunday's Gospel is Jesus' healing of the blind man.  Let us accept Christ's offering to make us see, healing our blindness that we may know how we are to live and serve in this world throughout this time of uncertainty.










No comments:

Post a Comment